Marketing through digital channels is essential in today’s business world, where online presence holds a significant influence. Digital marketing strategy is one of the best ways to grow your business, no matter your industry or company size. Digital marketing campaigns that represent your business values and align with your business goals make an effective digital strategy.
And with strategies through online channels constantly changing, choosing the right digital marketing tactics is vital to achieving and maintaining growth. Here are 10 effective advertising methods you can use for your campaigns:
1. Social Media Marketing (SMM)
Social Media Marketing is a digital marketing strategy that uses social media and social networks to sell or promote a brand, product, or service. It helps businesses increase brand awareness, build engaged communities, sell products and services directly, provide valuable customer service, and advertise to targeted audiences. Creating an effective social media strategy entails:
- Choosing social media marketing goals that align with business objectives. Identify your goals to better determine how social media channels can be more utilized and the type of content that you need to share. At this stage, meaningful metrics can be used as a baseline to track your gains with different goals. So whether you’re driving traffic to improve engagement, click-throughs, or conversion rates, or simply increasing your number of followers and likes, setting your goals is where you need to start.
- Learn about your audience. Knowing your audience and what they want to see is vital to an effective social media strategy. It would help if you started by creating audience personas for your target audience. This includes your customer’s age, location, average income, job title or industry, interests, and others. Using social media analytics can provide valuable information about your audience, allowing you to refine your strategy even further.
- Listening and Engagement. As you gather data, monitor what users, customers, and others say about posts, brands, and other business assets to know what works and doesn’t. This step also provides a perspective on your competition, with competitive analyses helping you determine who they are and whether they’re doing well or not. A good social media engagement tool can help you acquire the valuable information you need.
- Publishing. Before publishing, you’ll need to identify your social network and define your strategy with each. Drafting content, whether it would be videos or photos, and developing a suitable script requires work before anything gets published. Before sharing compelling content, create a social media content calendar to maximize impact. Setting a posting schedule ensures that your posts are spaced out with the right content and published at the best time to post.
- Analytics and Evaluation. Social media marketing allows you to focus on how effective your posts are. Therefore, analyzing reports of engagement and reach is very important to assess your strategy and adjust what needs improvement.
2. Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
Searching on the internet is one of the main ways that people connect with brands and content. This is why ranking higher in search engines is vital. Search Engine Optimization allows you to organically improve your search ranking so people navigating the web can easily find you. To rise above the complex algorithms, here are ways to improve your site’s rank:
- Keyword research. A starting point is identifying keywords that can work better for you, knowing what your competitors use, and what keywords your customers are searching for. These terms guide how existing content can be optimized and what new content can drive more traffic.
- Content marketing. Search engines place a premium on high-quality content, creating compelling pieces that provide positive user experiences to rank higher in searches. Good content also has a greater tendency to be shared on social media for a more organic reach.
- Link Building. External websites or backlinks are essential factors to consider to rank higher in searches. This can be done by promoting good content, collaborating with other websites, and building relationships that your site can benefit from.
- On-Page optimization. Improving the structure of your page can have significant benefits for SEO, from optimizing your URL to include keywords to updating tags that use relevant search terms. Updating meta description tags can also help increase click-through rates.
- Site architecture optimization. Aside from external links, internal links also play a massive role in SEO. A site’s SEO can be improved by making sure key pages are linked to it, with corresponding anchor text to help improve a page’s relevance.
- Semantic markup. Semantic markup is used to describe the meaning behind a page’s content, such as identifying the author of a piece. You can also provide information on the topic and type of content on a page. This drives your page to pop up on search results through extra text, review stars, and even through included images.
3. Search Engine Marketing (SEM)
Search engine marketing is the process of driving website traffic to your site through paid search advertising. This digital marketing strategy provides relevant brand exposure with consistent traffic and comprehensive targeting capabilities. In 2020, search advertising in the US soared to $58 Billion due to the high conversion probability of this effective online marketing strategy. To make SEM work, here’s what you need to do:
- Develop a Search Ad plan. First, define your goals and marketing objectives, assess the competition, identify the traffic you’re aiming for, and consider your budget. Once you’re well aware of what needs to be done, you can select which plan would be best for you.
- Generate keywords. The most important part of your campaign is researching and selecting your keywords. This will lay the foundation for your SEM approach and determine how easily your audience can find you.
- Optimize your website. Before initiating your search strategy, you’ll need to organize your website so it’s rich with the keywords you’ve chosen. Also, make sure that the content is presentable and is without graphics and flash content that prevent search engines from reading your content.
- Creating Your Search Ad copy. A copy is the first thing a user sees when exposed to a search ad, so make sure to make an excellent first impression. Make your ad copy relevant to your targeted keyword, making it easier to catch users’ attention and interest.
- Build a relevant landing page. Creating an optimized landing page from your search ad is crucial to turn those clicks into a conversion. Draw customers in with appealing headlines, minimizing distractions that focus on your call-to-action.
4. Email Marketing
Email marketing is a digital marketing campaign strategy that focuses on the top communication channel on the internet. With roughly four billion daily email users, email marketing helps you connect with your audience to promote your brand and increase sales. To communicate effectively through email marketing, here are some tips:
- Create an email marketing plan. When devising a strategy, you’ll need to define your audience, identify segments and groups, decide what to write, and make a schedule with the right frequency so you don’t send emails too often.
- Design your emails. When designing email campaigns, focus on your messaging and keep your designs simple. Remember to place valuable information on the top capturing more attention to keep their interest.
- Test your emails. Sending test emails to friends and coworkers means checking emails for typos and acquiring feedback on the layout. You can even find your best version by testing with A/B testing campaigns to experiment on different versions to deliver the most impactful one.
- Measure your performance. Refine your strategy going forward by assessing your marketing analytics. From open and clicks, e-commerce data, and tracking website traffic, you can determine what aspects are working and where you need to improve on.
5. Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate marketing is a digital marketing strategy that promotes another company’s product or service in return for a commission on the sales you generate. This can be done by sharing it on a blog, social media platforms, or website. This is an increasingly popular tactic that now accounts for 16% of all orders made online. Here are the steps to get started with affiliate marketing:
- Decide on a platform. Affiliate marketing works on any platform. However, putting up a blog or a YouTube channel is an easier way to build an audience to increase affiliate sales.
- Choose your niche. Focusing on a specific category will make it easier to build a more focused audience allowing you to rank higher in search engines.
- Find affiliate programs to join. A simple google search can lead you to affiliate programs with different niches and levels of expertise. You can also approach a product without a program you want to promote to ask if they’re open to building an affiliate relationship.
- Create captivating content. To succeed in affiliate marketing, you’ll need to create great content that naturally fits your affiliate links. You can also respond to inquiries by including affiliate links to increase engagement.
- Drive traffic and get clicks. After putting up your content, you’ll need to drive users to click on your affiliate links. Knowing where to place your affiliate links within the context of your content is vital to have people click on them.
- Convert clicks to sales. To make money in affiliate marketing, you’ll need to have users click on affiliate links or purchase their products or services. Commissions earned can be pretty hefty if you’ve done your job effectively.
6. Digital Advertising
Digital advertising focuses on publishing promotional material through online platforms such as websites, social media, search engines, and other programs that can be accessed digitally. With the average internet user spending almost three hours every day on the internet, digital advertising helps take your business directly to your audience. Digital advertising can be done through the following:
- Search Advertising. Search advertising allows your ads to appear in search results and can also display across affiliate websites. In addition, ads for search lets you target transactional keywords for best results.
- Display. Compelling images and videos are always great at helping users make a purchase decision. Choosing a digital marketing platform for your display ads, such as YouTube or Google, can be utilized separately to increase your reach and generate engagement.
- Social Media. You can create text, image, and video ads that raise awareness for your business through social media. You can even use cost-per-follow (CPF) to earn more followers or cost-per-spend (CPS) to reach more passive prospects.
- Influencer. Influencers are popular partnerships that you can nurture to earn the trust and respect of your target audience. Users get to interact with an influencer’s sponsored post, which ultimately moves them down your sales funnel.
7. Content Marketing
Content marketing is a digital marketing strategy used to attract, engage and retain an audience by creating and sharing relevant content. Content can be in the form of articles, blogs, videos, podcasts, and other media. To create a content marketing strategy, you must first:
- Identify your business why. To be effective with this strategy, you must first figure out why you’re creating content and how you intend it to help your business.
- Determine your who (and what’s in it for them). Create audience personas to determine who your audience will be. Content marketing focuses on helping your audience accomplish their goals. Therefore, it’s crucial to gain a detailed understanding of who your content reaches and what value there is for them.
- Figure out your how (your unique brand story). Each brand is uniquely positioned to tell stories that only they can tell, so find yours. Your content mission statement can distinguish your brand’s storytelling efforts to grab your customers’ attention better.
8. Voice Search Optimization
The rise of voice technology becoming more mainstream has led to over $40 Billion in sales from voice searches. This is why voice search optimization has now become a prime opportunity to earn sales for your company. Voice search optimization is the process of optimizing your pages to appear in voice searches. Here are some tips to optimize your business for voice search:
- Optimize for conversational queries. Voice search queries are structured differently from standard questions. Users talk to their devices, so make sure you optimize for conversational queries to rank higher in the search.
- Optimize your local presence. More than 55% of consumers use voice search to find local businesses. However, optimizing your local presence requires you to build up your local presence. Sign up for local listings, such as Google My Business listing, to connect with your customers easier and get located faster.
- Focus on direct answers. Much like featured snippets on searches, giving precise answers will increase your chances of appearing at the top of search results. Creating an FAQ page is also a great way to answer questions directly.
9. Mobile Marketing
Mobile marketing is a digital marketing strategy that focuses on optimizing smartphones and other mobile devices through apps, social media channels, and websites. This provides a larger audience, especially since people in the US spend five to six hours on their phones every day. With this much exposure, marketing campaigns can be specialized for mobile viewers across digital platforms. To set up your mobile marketing strategy, here’s what you need to do:
- Optimize your web and landing pages for mobile. Make sure that any content or information you’re marketing to an audience can be accurately seen on their mobile device. Tablets and phones have smaller screen sizes, and your prospect needs to be able to browse through your content properly.
- Find the right audience. Target your mobile strategies to drive connection with a targeted audience. Some platforms, such as Instagram, are designed to be most effective on mobile devices, so find out where your content has higher levels of engagement potential.
- Make your call to action mobile user-friendly. CTAs are vital to your marketing strategy and helps you pull them further into your sales funnel. However, CTAs on mobile devices should be simple enough to ensure that links can be clicked on, prompt an email, or begin a phone call.
- Maximize mobile capabilities. A customer’s phone is always nearby, so enabling text capabilities to connect with your audience is an excellent way to increase conversion rates. Allow them to opt-in to a text subscription so you can share service or product promotions more quickly.
10. Influencer Marketing
Influencer marketing is a digital marketing strategy that uses endorsements and product mentions from those who have a dedicated social following and relying on their bankable trust and expertise. Influencer marketing is expected to be worth $13.8 Billion in 2021, with social platforms bringing industry to a much larger audience. Here is how you can create your influencer marketing strategy:
- Find the right influencers and how to pay them. Through social listening, you can identify which platform to focus on and the most influential voices within it. Look into acquiring influencers with massive followings or micro-influencers with much fewer followers, but have a niche following that aligns with your vision. Compensation, which may significantly vary, is also a factor to consider.
- Set a budget and management strategy. Running a successful influencer marketing campaign requires careful monitoring and follow-up. In creating your campaign’s budget, factor in planning, executing and reviewing your influencer program.
- Decide on goals and messages. Influencers provide a great way to elevate brand awareness and increase sales. Identifying specific goals can help you reach specific audiences through your collaboration.
- Review and refine. Tracking your influencer marketing campaigns allow you to review and refine your strategy even while the campaign is ongoing. In addition, staying on top of influencers’ output will enable you to learn vital steps to be more effective.
There are a variety of strategies that you can apply when it comes to the digital marketing plan that allows you to reach your unique goals. Whether you intend to increase sales, revenue, brand awareness, or loyalty, digital marketing can offer you solutions. However, the success of your digital marketing strategy depends on the development process and its execution. By properly preparing and executing your strategy, you can quickly see the effectiveness of your campaigns. This is why your business must have a clearly defined digital marketing strategy.