Marketing through digital channels is essential in today’s business world, where online presence holds a significant influence. Digital marketing strategy is one of the best ways to grow your business, no matter your industry or company size. Digital marketing campaigns that represent your business values and align with your business goals make an effective digital strategy.
And with strategies through online channels constantly changing, choosing the right digital marketing tactics is vital to achieving and maintaining growth. Here are 10 effective advertising methods you can use for your campaigns:
1. Social Media Marketing (SMM)
Social Media Marketing is a digital marketing strategy that uses social media and social networks to sell or promote a brand, product, or service. It helps businesses increase brand awareness, build engaged communities, sell products and services directly, provide valuable customer service, and advertise to targeted audiences. Creating an effective social media strategy entails:
- Choosing social media marketing goals that align with business objectives. Identify your goals to better determine how social media channels can be more utilized and the type of content that you need to share. At this stage, meaningful metrics can be used as a baseline to track your gains with different goals. So whether you’re driving traffic to improve engagement, click-throughs, or conversion rates, or simply increasing your number of followers and likes, setting your goals is where you need to start.
- Learn about your audience. Knowing your audience and what they want to see is vital to an effective social media strategy. It would help if you started by creating audience personas for your target audience. This includes your customer’s age, location, average income, job title or industry, interests, and others. Using social media analytics can provide valuable information about your audience, allowing you to refine your strategy even further.
- Listening and Engagement. As you gather data, monitor what users, customers, and others say about posts, brands, and other business assets to know what works and doesn’t. This step also provides a perspective on your competition, with competitive analyses helping you determine who they are and whether they’re doing well or not. A good social media engagement tool can help you acquire the valuable information you need.
- Publishing. Before publishing, you’ll need to identify your social network and define your strategy with each. Drafting content, whether it would be videos or photos, and developing a suitable script requires work before anything gets published. Before sharing compelling content, create a social media content calendar to maximize impact. Setting a posting schedule ensures that your posts are spaced out with the right content and published at the best time to post.
- Analytics and Evaluation. Social media marketing allows you to focus on how effective your posts are. Therefore, analyzing reports of engagement and reach is very important to assess your strategy and adjust what needs improvement.
2. Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
Searching on the internet is one of the main ways that people connect with brands and content. This is why ranking higher in search engines is vital. Search Engine Optimization allows you to organically improve your search ranking so people navigating the web can easily find you. To rise above the complex algorithms, here are ways to improve your site’s rank:
- Keyword research. A starting point is identifying keywords that can work better for you, knowing what your competitors use, and what keywords your customers are searching for. These terms guide how existing content can be optimized and what new content can drive more traffic.
- Content marketing. Search engines place a premium on high-quality content, creating compelling pieces that provide positive user experiences to rank higher in searches. Good content also has a greater tendency to be shared on social media for a more organic reach.
- Link Building. External websites or backlinks are essential factors to consider to rank higher in searches. This can be done by promoting good content, collaborating with other websites, and building relationships that your site can benefit from.
- On-Page optimization. Improving the structure of your page can have significant benefits for SEO, from optimizing your URL to include keywords to updating tags that use relevant search terms. Updating meta description tags can also help increase click-through rates.
- Site architecture optimization. Aside from external links, internal links also play a massive role in SEO. A site’s SEO can be improved by making sure key pages are linked to it, with corresponding anchor text to help improve a page’s relevance.
- Semantic markup. Semantic markup is used to describe the meaning behind a page’s content, such as identifying the author of a piece. You can also provide information on the topic and type of content on a page. This drives your page to pop up on search results through extra text, review stars, and even through included images.
3. Search Engine Marketing (SEM)
Search engine marketing is the process of driving website traffic to your site through paid search advertising. This digital marketing strategy provides relevant brand exposure with consistent traffic and comprehensive targeting capabilities. In 2020, search advertising in the US soared to $58 Billion due to the high conversion probability of this effective online marketing strategy. To make SEM work, here’s what you need to do:
- Develop a Search Ad plan. First, define your goals and marketing objectives, assess the competition, identify the traffic you’re aiming for, and consider your budget. Once you’re well aware of what needs to be done, you can select which plan would be best for you.
- Generate keywords. The most important part of your campaign is researching and selecting your keywords. This will lay the foundation for your SEM approach and determine how easily your audience can find you.
- Optimize your website. Before initiating your search strategy, you’ll need to organize your website so it’s rich with the keywords you’ve chosen. Also, make sure that the content is presentable and is without graphics and flash content that prevent search engines from reading your content.
- Creating Your Search Ad copy. A copy is the first thing a user sees when exposed to a search ad, so make sure to make an excellent first impression. Make your ad copy relevant to your targeted keyword, making it easier to catch users’ attention and interest.
- Build a relevant landing page. Creating an optimized landing page from your search ad is crucial to turn those clicks into a conversion. Draw customers in with appealing headlines, minimizing distractions that focus on your call-to-action.
4. Email Marketing
Email marketing is a digital marketing campaign strategy that focuses on the top communication channel on the internet. With roughly four billion daily email users, email marketing helps you connect with your audience to promote your brand and increase sales. To communicate effectively through email marketing, here are some tips:
- Create an email marketing plan. When devising a strategy, you’ll need to define your audience, identify segments and groups, decide what to write, and make a schedule with the right frequency so you don’t send emails too often.
- Design your emails. When designing email campaigns, focus on your messaging and keep your designs simple. Remember to place valuable information on the top capturing more attention to keep their interest.
- Test your emails. Sending test emails to friends and coworkers means checking emails for typos and acquiring feedback on the layout. You can even find your best version by testing with A/B testing campaigns to experiment on different versions to deliver the most impactful one.
- Measure your performance. Refine your strategy going forward by assessing your marketing analytics. From open and clicks, e-commerce data, and tracking website traffic, you can determine what aspects are working and where you need to improve on.
5. Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate marketing is a digital marketing strategy that promotes another company’s product or service in return for a commission on the sales you generate. This can be done by sharing it on a blog, social media platforms, or website. This is an increasingly popular tactic that now accounts for 16% of all orders made online. Here are the steps to get started with affiliate marketing:
- Decide on a platform. Affiliate marketing works on any platform. However, putting up a blog or a YouTube channel is an easier way to build an audience to increase affiliate sales.
- Choose your niche. Focusing on a specific category will make it easier to build a more focused audience allowing you to rank higher in search engines.
- Find affiliate programs to join. A simple google search can lead you to affiliate programs with different niches and levels of expertise. You can also approach a product without a program you want to promote to ask if they’re open to building an affiliate relationship.
- Create captivating content. To succeed in affiliate marketing, you’ll need to create great content that naturally fits your affiliate links. You can also respond to inquiries by including affiliate links to increase engagement.
- Drive traffic and get clicks. After putting up your content, you’ll need to drive users to click on your affiliate links. Knowing where to place your affiliate links within the context of your content is vital to have people click on them.
- Convert clicks to sales. To make money in affiliate marketing, you’ll need to have users click on affiliate links or purchase their products or services. Commissions earned can be pretty hefty if you’ve done your job effectively.
6. Digital Advertising
Digital advertising focuses on publishing promotional material through online platforms such as websites, social media, search engines, and other programs that can be accessed digitally. With the average internet user spending almost three hours every day on the internet, digital advertising helps take your business directly to your audience. Digital advertising can be done through the following:
- Search Advertising. Search advertising allows your ads to appear in search results and can also display across affiliate websites. In addition, ads for search lets you target transactional keywords for best results.
- Display. Compelling images and video