In today’s challenging and growing business scape, having to modify and rethink strategies for marketing your company has become a requirement every business needs to face. Nowadays, holding on to more traditional advertising can leave you dead on the tracks. With everyone’s attention now found online, placing spots on the radio or ad space on the local dailies can end up being a waste of your advertising effort.
As you place more value on your digital marketing strategy through digital channels, it’s essential to know how and where to put yourself out there. And no, we’re not referring to sending emails that hopefully people would even open.
However, having the means to conceptualize and implement an effective digital marketing plan can successfully impact your company’s image. This plan can enhance your overall marketing strategies and should also change over time to maintain effectiveness.
Table of Contents
What is Digital Marketing?
Digital Marketing is the term that refers to any aspect of marketing using electronic devices. These marketing campaigns appear on phones, tablets, computers or any other device that can go online. Since almost everything can be found on the internet nowadays, with 85% of all Americans going online daily, building an online presence for your company is now a must.
Promoting brands, products and services with potential customers using the internet allows you to reach a broader audience that is effective and measurable. This is done through various channels such as social media platforms, web-based ads, Search Engine Optimization or SEO, Pay-Per-Click Marketing or PPC, email marketing, and mobile apps.
Taking your marketing approach to focus on online marketing tactics can reach more customers for less money than traditional marketing methods. Traditional advertising has seen a significant decline in the last few years, with TV advertising sales seeing a 12% decline and print and radio advertising sliding down 25% over the previous year.
Even immediately impactful billboard advertising, despite its often hefty pricing, has also seen reduced figures. With mobile internet users increasing their daily consumption by significant minutes each year, fewer eyes are on the road to capture. Digital marketing allows you to refine your marketing approach with more current means while also targeting your campaigns to a specific demographic.
Digital Marketing is beneficial to your brand for the following reasons:
- It’s Cost-Effective. Digital Marketing helps you save money in your marketing efforts and is a more affordable way of targeting your business to interested customers. In addition, it allows you to maintain a digital marketing strategy that is well within your budget. Marketing online also enables you to maintain a small marketing team, with 78% of marketers usually consisting of one to three people.
- It’s Measurable. One of the most critical benefits of digital marketing is assessing and measuring your results immediately. Every campaign has a tracking system with various metrics that can be analyzed in real-time. From impressions, comments, shares, and clicks, you can quickly determine how your campaign performs. This also allows you to improve your campaigns even while it’s ongoing, enabling you to optimize even further and run better campaigns for your business.
- Target Ideal Customers. Reaching the right people who would find an interest in your business is the goal of an effective marketing campaign. Online marketing allows you the ability to target people specifically. This is something that traditional marketing can never match since targeting specific demographics will enable you to bring your company much closer to those who have more interest than others. You can define parameters according to age, gender, interests, occupation, and more, allowing you to target your audience more specifically.
- Build Brand Exposure Early. Most people often turn to the internet with regards to anything before making a purchase. They either do research or look for products online that they need. Having an online presence allows you to impact their decisions towards your brand positively. Building brand exposure online enables users to find your business early in their buying journey. This recall can also provide the impact you need to remember your product or company down the line.
Types Of Digital Marketing
As online marketing has grown, it has developed into seven main types that are applied through various digital marketing channels:
1. SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
Search Engine Optimization is the process of improving a website or a piece of content to increase its visibility for relevant searches. The more visible your platform is in search results, the more attention you can garner to lead prospective customers to your business.
Search engines such as Google or Bing collect information from your pages to determine elements such as content quality and keyword research that become vital factors in determining where your site shows on a particular search index. Optimizing your platform and content can help you rank higher in search results, allowing you to gain an advantage over everyone else.
2. SEM (Search Engine Marketing)
Search Engine Marketing is a digital marketing strategy used to increase the visibility of your website or platforms through search engine results pages. Advertisers pay for impressions that result in visitors, making it an efficient way to market on a budget.
In paid search advertising, sponsored ads can appear prominently on top and alongside search engine results based on keywords typed as search terms, making it highly likely that people will click on them.
3. PPC (Pay-per-Click Advertising)
A typical advertising model applied by almost every digital marketer, Pay-Per-Click marketing allows advertisers to place ads on search engines, social media platforms and websites, with fees being paid whenever the ad is clicked.
As a result, PPC provides plenty of potential exposure and can be seen by your audience as soon as your ads are approved. In addition, PPCs offer great returns for the business and provide $2 for every $1 invested. These run on Google’s PPC services platform, Google Ads, which has generated over $134 Billion in ad revenue.
4. Content Marketing
Content Marketing refers to creating and publishing content to attract, entertain, educate, and maintain your target audience. This is a more long-term strategy application focusing on building a solid relationship with your immediate customer base by providing them valuable content regularly.
Content marketing strategies are a great way to develop customer loyalty while showing your customers that you care about them. However, this attention turns into preference when it comes to actual purchasing, as customers tend to prefer a brand they know and have an affinity for over the competition.
5. Social Media Marketing
Social Media Marketing uses social media platforms to connect with your customer base, allowing you to build your brand, increase sales, and drive more traffic to your website. This can include posting text and image updates, videos, and other means of content to gain audience engagement and include paid social media advertising.
6. Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate marketing is an online advertising approach where a company uses third-party publishers to market another company’s products and services. Third-party publishers, or affiliates, are given a commission taken from actual sales, providing more incentive to promote your company and products in various ways. This performance-based form of digital marketing accounts for 15% of the overall e-commerce revenue.
7. Email Marketing
Email marketing uses sending direct emails to promote products or services while developing relationships with potential customers. This can be done by sending promotional-based messages in mass quantities to generate sales and include newsletters, sales and discounts, and exclusive deals for subscribers.
Email marketing is among the direct marketing tools that allow businesses to tailor messages to their specific audiences and keep their customers informed about the company.
10-Step Guide to Digital Marketing
To achieve successful conversions for your business, developing and maintaining an effective online strategy is essential. This process can help you be structured enough to stay on track while allowing your campaign to be flexible enough for further improvements:
1 . Set objectives and goals
Before you set out and create a marketing plan for y